Note: If your data are not collecting your data using a survey/questionnaire, you can think of the questions in Kinaki also as variables or data columns.
What is the Questions page about?
On the Questions page, you can set up the questions for your Data Collection Tool (DCT). For a DCT of type Survey and Activity Tracking, this is usually in the form of a question. For other types of data, questions can also be viewed as variables or data columns. Further, if you import data to Kinaki, the Questions page is where the variables/data columns from your file will appear.
Once questions are created, they can be ordered to a questionnaire on the Designer page, or data can be imported using the Data Collection page.
What can you do on this page?
As a Member
- View questions and their translations
- Export questions to PDF, Excel, or XLS Form
As a Project Admin
- All that members can do and:
- Add new questions
- Edit questions
- Copy question
- Translate questions to another language
- Import questions from excel (using XLS Form or Kinaki format)
- Delete questions
- Use questions library (coming soon)
Question Types in Kinaki
- The respondent can select one response from a list of possible answers
- Same as a single choice but shown to the respondent as a drop-down menu.
- This question type is suitable for questions with a high number of answers. Such as a question asking for a country.
- The respondent can select any number of responses from a list of possible answers.
- Text can be inputted as answer
- Minimum and maximum number of characters required can be adjusted
- No answer is collected, this question type only shows the predefined text to the user.
- A number can be inputted as an answer
- A minimum and maximum input value can be set
- This question type allows only date to be inputted as an answer
- The date must be inputted in format “yyyy-mm-dd” or selected from a calendar provided
- A minimum and maximum date can be set
- Possibility to upload a picture
Grid Single Select
- Enable to collect multiple Single Select Questions on as a single screen
- All the questions must have the same answers
- Enables to collect multiple Numbers on one screen
- This question is shown as a grid with a variable number of rows and columns
The Coordinates + Altitude and Barcode scanner question types are planned to be added in the future:
Add new questions
To add a question, click on the button “+Question” at the top-left of the question table. Alternatively, to add a question under a specific indicator, click on the indicator name in the questions table.
The previous actions will open an “Add question” dialog. First, select the question type. Next, fill in the details of your question. The fields “Question”, “Unique Question ID” and “Question Name” must be provided.
Question Fields and their functions:
- The core text of the question
- Example: “How old are you?”
- Instructions are shown to the respondent/enumerator
- Example: “Fill in the number of years”
- The indicator for which calculation this question will be used.
- This enables quicker setting up of calculations
- Note that the question can be used for calculation of other indicators, that it is not assigned to, as well.
Unique Question ID
- Question identifier used to match data during import
- Must be unique within the Data Collection Tool
- An identifier used to quickly recognize the question in Kinaki
- It is recommended that the question name is unique and easy to recognize.
- Field used to indicate which respondents should be asked this question
- This does not affect the data collection and is only for your information
- Question themes can be used to quickly find questions of questions regarding a single topic
- Will gain more relevance with the planned question library
Used for Calculation
- Highlights questions that will be used for indicator calculation
- Question marked as required cannot be skipped
- This function will enable in future more flexibility in working with confidential data and distinguishing different levels of access to the data of different questions
To edit a question a click on the question’s name or type in the question table. After this, the “Edit Question” dialog window will appear.
A question can be copied by opening the “Edit Question” dialog and then clicking “Copy Question” at the bottom of the window.
Import questions from excel using XLSForm format
This function allows you to import questions from an Excel document using the XLSForm format.
Additional information about the XLSFroms can be found at http://xlsform.org/
This function is currently under development and not all forms might be fully compatible. Please contact the Kinaki helpdesk for assistance.
Import questions from excel using Kinaki Format
This function is currently in development. The format will allow you to import questions and match them to indicators directly.
To delete a question, click the “x” next to the question name in the questions table and confirm. You will be warned if this question contains data or is added to a questionnaire flow.
Question containing data will appear in the section “Delete Questions”, the data will be unavailable unless the question is restored.
Multiple questions can be deleted at once by first ticking the check-box next to the question name and then clicking “Delate all questions” at the top of the table.
Restore deleted question
Deleted questions that contained data can be restored using the checkmark next to the question name in the Deleted Questions field.
Use questions library (coming soon)
The question library is under development. Thank you for your patience.
Viewing and editing translations of questions
To view translations of questions to other project languages, use the language selector on the top-right of the page. As a Project Admin, you can then edit those translations to create a translated version of your Questions.
Translations can also be imported using the XLS Form format.